1931: Sunny Hill was originally established as a 25-bed Vancouver Preventorium for children with tuberculosis.1940’s - 1950’s: Continued to care for children with tuberculosis and children with poliomyelitis.1958: Expanded the existing building and changed the name to Princess Margaret Children’s Village. Cared for primarily tuberculosis patients.1960’s: Treated children requiring extensive physiotherapy after surgery, children with severe chest problems or other diseases that required long-term medical management, and children with cerebral palsy, arthritis and other musculoskeletal conditions.1961: Renamed Sunny Hill Hospital for Children. Functioned as a children's chronic care hospital. 1965: BC Hospital Insurance Services gave Sunny Hill official recognition as a long-term rehabilitation hospital with an expanded physiotherapy, social work, and medical staff.1967: Established an extended care program with eight beds. There was a significant decrease in the tuberculosis caseload.1979 - 1980: Sunny Hill was expanded and renovated for increased rehabilitation services.1980 - 1981: Opened the North Wing, indoor pool, gymnasium, and Hartman House - a group home for the severely disabled.1981 - 1982: Marked increase in outpatient service provision. 1982: Established a close liaison with BC Children’s Hospital and an affiliation agreement with the University of British Columbia. Opened a specialized wheelchair seating centre.
1983: SHHC initiated the International Seating Symposium, which has grown to be a major conference with over 800 attendees.
1985 - 1987: Augmentative Communication Technology Program accelerated. Child Development and Diagnostic Program moved to Sunny Hill from BC Children's Hospital.1987: Northern outreach services began.
1991: Sixtieth Anniversary. Shift from chronic/long-term care to short-term diagnostic assessment; reduction of inpatient beds with expanded outpatient and outreach services.
1995: Primary affiliated research affinity established by Sunny Hill as the Community Child Health Research Unit within the Child and Family Research Institute.
1997: Shriners Gait Lab opened on the Sunny Hill site. Sunny Hill joined with BC Children’s Hospital, BC Women’s Hospital, and Women’s Health Centre to form Children’s and Women’s Health Centre of BC.
1999: Modular building opened, sharing support through donations from the Shriners and UBC.2001: Distance technology used increasingly to deliver clinical services and information dissemination through videoconferencing, co-assessments, and websites.2002: Sunny Hill, as a member of BC Children's Hospital, became a member of the Provincial Health Services Authority. Major boost to Tele-rehab opportunities in the child development and rehab network with receipt of national CHIPP grant (Canada Health Infostructure Partnership Program).
2003/04: Business plan submitted by Sunny Hill for the creation of a new BC Autism Assessment Network is approved by Ministry of Health. Funding is received for 1100 assessments provided throughout the province. Initially for children under 6 years of age, the program quickly expanded to include all children and youth to age 19.
2005: Business plan submitted by Sunny Hill for the creation of a new provincial network for children and youth with Complex Development and Behavioural Conditions and approved by the Ministry of Health.
2008: Working with the Centre for International Health at BC Childrens Hospital, Sunny Hill establishes international work in China and in Ladakh.
2009: Sensory garden with mobility training track built and donated by landscaping contractors (Growing Hearts) on the southeast corner of the property.
Community Child Health Research renamed the Developmental Neurosciences and Child Health Research. CYDIs (Child and Youth with Disability in Society) is a major part of this.
2010: Accessible playground equipment donated for the benefit of children and their families at Sunny Hill.