The lands south of Burrard Inlet, where the Slocan site is located, were used by the Musqueam, Squamish Nation, and Tsleil-Waututh Nation. The area had abundant natural resources that were available year round, including Western red cedar and Douglas fir, along with berries and medicinal plants. Deer, elk, bear, and small fur-bearing mammals inhabited the area.
The site was likely used for hunting and for gathering food, medicine, and resources (e.g., cedar bark, berries, and various roots and shoots). The trees would have been logged for construction materials for planks or masks.
It is unknown when the site was taken by settlers, but it was likely cleared of trees a few years prior to 1911.