MEND is a fun and interactive, free program offered in communities across British Columbia to help families with children who are working towards healthier, more active lifestyles.
Through MEND, families with children ages 5-7 and 7-13 attend 10 weeks of group physical activity and healthy eating sessions delivered by recreation staff. The program empowers children and families to become fitter and healthier.
MEND is offered in Vancouver, Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Cranbrook, Kamloops, Kelowna, Prince George, Powell River, Nanaimo, Campbell River, North Vancouver, Saanich, Coquitlam, Burnaby, Fort St John, Maple Ridge, North Cowichan, Penticton, Agassiz and Richmond.
MEND is for children ages 5-7 and 7-13 who, together with their families, are working towards a healthy lifestyle or require help with achieving healthier behaviours. A parent or guardian must attend each MEND session with their child.
During the program, participants and families:
- Learn how to make healthier food choices, become more physically active, and reduce screen time.
- Engage in group sessions that show how small changes can make a big difference.
- Benefit from practical food demonstrations, label reading tips, and activity-based games.
- Discuss their successes and challenges with trained program leaders.
- A place for the entire family
- A place to meet new friends
- A place to support making healthier choices