1If you suspect a malignancy
Call 604-875-2161 and ask the operator to page the oncologist on call (24 hours a day, 7 days a week), if you suspect a patient aged less than 17 years has a malignancy.
2Do not intervene
Do not biopsy or perform any surgical intervention. The issue is not of technical competence, but rather optimal processing of tissue. Many tests are performed on tissues that help make an accurate diagnosis.
3Do not treat
Do not initiate any treatment, especially steroids, which may interfere with the accuracy of the diagnosis or influence the choice of treatment protocol.
4Provide patient information
Provide the following information:
- Name, age, suspected diagnosis
- Laboratory or radiology test results
- Relevant family history/issues
We will decide on the mode of transportation based on the condition of the patient.
- The diagnostic workup will commence immediately.
- Information and test results will be discussed with the parents and age-appropriate information will be conveyed to the child.
- Every new patient and family is seen by one of our social workers to assist them in dealing with the shock and the emotional and psychosocial aspects of coping with their new situation.
- Treatment will be initiated at BC Children’s Hospital.
- Some of the treatment and monitoring may be done in the child's home community depending on the resources available in the community.