The Surgical Suites Department provides care for children requiring surgery. The services include the Surgical Day Unit, the Operating Room, the Post-Anesthetic Care Unit and the Department of Anesthesia. This care is provided within a family-centred environment.
The members of this department are all specialists in the perioperative treatment and care for children throughout BC. Patients are referred to our facility from the Yukon, as well as from the provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.
Our staff are involved in training health professionals, continuing education and sharing knowledge locally, nationally, and internationally.
- To provide for the optimal treatment of surgical conditions in children. This is being done by increasing available resources and reducing waiting times.
- To continue to improve upon our provision of family-centered care in the perioperative environment.
Several services offered to support surgical care:
- The Pre-Admission Clinic helps shorten your child’s stay in the hospital by preparing them for surgery.
- The Anesthesia Service offers sedation and anesthesia for a range of surgical and diagnostic procedures.
- The Surgical Day Care Unit provides preoperative preparation and post-operative care for children undergoing day surgery. The Operating Room is available for children undergoing primary, secondary and tertiary surgical interventions.
- The Post Anesthetic Care Unit provides recovery for most children after their surgery or procedure from their anesthetic.
- The Pain Service offers support for children experiencing acute or chronic pain.