Skip to main content

Our Services

We provide specialized development and rehabilitation services for children, youth and their families.
Tab Heading

​We provide services at Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children and BC Children's Hospital in Vancouver, and throughout BC in your community.

Tab Heading
Tab Heading
Tab Heading
We provide services at Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children and at BC Children's Hospital in Vancouver, and in communities throughout BC.


This glossary contains definitions of words you might hear at Sunny Hill. If you don't see the word you're looking for, please ask us! 

Adaptive recreation equipment: Equipment that has been changed in some way to let a child more actively take part in a recreation activity of his or her choice. 

Assessment: An assessment is when a health professional spends some time with your child to see if he or she is having any trouble in a certain area. For example, a therapist from the feeding team may see your child to find out why she or he is having trouble eating and drinking.

Consultation: A consultation is a meeting with a professional person like a therapist or doctor to exchange information and advice.

Developmental Pediatrician: A developmental pediatrician is a doctor who addresses special needs or special care issues for children with special needs. 

Inpatient: An inpatient is a child who stays overnight on the ward, for one or more nights. 

Kinesiologist : A kinesiologist is someone who works with your child to help him or her reach or regain the best possible physical function. In the Gait Lab, a kinesiologist focuses on helping your child walk. 

Neuromotor : A broad term used to describe children who have physical problems due to illness or injury to the brain. For example: children with cerebral palsy. 

Nurse Clinician: At Sunny Hill, a nurse with special training and experience working with children with special needs. 

Occupational Therapist: An occupational therapist is a health professional trained to help people who are ill or have a disability learn to manage their daily activities like dressing, eating, working, and playing. 

Orientation and Mobility (O&M): Orientation and Mobility is when a vision specialist teaches a child who is visually impaired learn how to move around inside and outside as safely and independently as possible. This can involve the use of a cane. 

Orthopedic surgeon: An orthopedic surgeon is a doctor who specializes in surgery of the muscles, bones, joints, and related structures. 

Orthotist: An orthotist is a person who measures, designs, makes, fits, or services an orthosis. An orthosis is a specially-designed splint that corrects and/or supports the body. 

Outpatient: An outpatient is a child who leaves at the end of the day when his or her appointments are over. 

Outreach: Outreach is when our health professionals go to a child's home community instead of the family bringing the child to Sunny Hill. 

Pediatrician: A pediatrician is a doctor who only sees children. 

Physiatrist: A physician who specializes in working with people with physical needs and disabilities.

Physiotherapist: A physiotherapist (or physical therapist) is a health professional who assesses and treats people with physical and mobility concerns. Physiotherapists use a variety of treatment techniques to promote mobility, reduce pain, and maximize function. 

Recreation Therapist: see Therapeutic Recreation.

Reflux: Reflux is when the stomach acid rises back up into the tube that goes from the throat to the stomach (the esophagus). Sometimes reflux is called "heartburn." 

Rehabilitation Technologist: Designs and develops equipment to help children with positioning and mobility, use of communication equipment, and computers.

Respite Services: An agency or caregiver that will care for your child with special needs so you and your family can have a break. 

Speech-Language Pathologist: An SLP can provide assessment of swallowing, feeding, speech, language, and communication skills.

Telehealth: Telehealth is videoconferencing which is used to deliver health services over long or short distances. You can find more information about Telehealth at the BC Children's website. 

Therapeutic Recreation: A Recreation Therapist uses play and recreation activities with your child to achieve specific goals. These can include physical, cognitive, social, and emotional goals. 

Transition Planning: Is a process done together with your child's health and/or community team to prepare for upcoming changes in services, for example, when you child becomes a legal adult he or she will "transition" to adult services. Transition planning may include changes in schooling, therapy, funding, and living arrangements. At Sunny Hill, transition planning can also refer to when a child who is an inpatient leaves the hospital after his or her injury or illness. 

Triage: At Sunny Hill, all medical referrals are reviewed by our Triage team to help ensure that our services are the right ones for your child.

Visual Impairment: Visual Impairment is how we describe children who have a lot of difficulty seeing. Specific testing is done to confirm if the problem is severe enough to be a visual impairment.

Related information

SOURCE: Our Services ( )
Page printed: . Unofficial document if printed. Please refer to SOURCE for latest information.

Copyright © BC Children's Hospital. All Rights Reserved.

    Copyright © 2020 Provincial Health Services Authority.