The Compass Mental Health program at BC Children's Hospital has a newly redesigned website – compassbc.ca – to better support B.C. health care providers as they care for children and youth with mental health and substance use challenges in their community.
The revamped website includes:
- Step by step information about how the Compass program works
- An education page with Compass toolkits, webinar information and recordings, curated child and youth mental health resources for healthcare providers, and an easy to use search bar
- A news section highlighting opportunities and resources
- An updated FAQ page
- Compass team bios featuring the multidisciplinary team
From the initial call, to follow up consultations and billing codes, health care providers will now know how the consultation process goes before they even pick up the phone.
Compass is a province-wide service to support evidenced-based care for B.C. children and youth living with mental health and substance use concerns. Through phone consultation and educational resources, the experienced and multidisciplinary Compass team supports community health care providers with the information and advice they need to deliver appropriate and timely care to children and youth with mental health and substance use concerns in their community.
Since the launch of the Compass program in 2018, community health care providers have appreciated the support of the Compass program:
- “I have found Compass very helpful...it is so good to be able to speak with someone as there are not a lot of people to help in rural B.C." - Peter, Family Physician
- “It was really nice to have a person taking time to ask questions and listen about a child in a current crisis, and the need for resources. It gave me hope that there was help available in this moment of stress." - Nadia, Child and Youth Mental Health Clinician
- “I use Compass to consult with my most complex cases. I feel listened to. I can develop concrete action plans to continue to move forward in a systematic way. This is a very valuable service and I thank you for providing me help in a timely manner so that I can assist youth, many of whom are in crisis." - Nancy, B.C. School Counsellor
Health care providers can connect with the Compass team Monday to Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. by calling 1-855-702-7272 or by visiting www.compassbc.ca to learn more.