The Pain Service includes the Acute Pain Service and the Complex Pain Service.
- Acute pain is a protective mechanism that safeguards injured tissue from ongoing damage.
- Complex pain is a dynamic phenomenon caused by numerous changes occurring in the peripheral and/or central nervous system.
The changes of complex pain:
- occur in response to disease, injury and/or loss of function;
- are influenced by the nature, duration and original cause of the pain as well as the age, sex, psychological make-up and perhaps the genetic susceptibility of the child;
- often result in abnormal activity in the pain messaging system that continues irrespective of the original cause;
- are reversible initially, but without timely and appropriate management, the changes can persist.
Toll-free: 1-888-300-3088 ext 3627
Toll-free: 1-888-300-3088 ext 2767