Skip to main content

Child Life Internship

The internship program at BC Children's Hospital is 600 hours, under the supervision of a certified child life specialist. Please see "The Association of Child Life Professionals" link in the contact information section.

The clinical internship is designed to complement academic studies and follows the Association of Child life professionals' (ACLP) curriculum modules. The purpose is to provide a clinical program for students to develop a professional identity in working with children, youth, families and staff within a pediatric setting. Our child life clinical training experience offers educational opportunities in the areas of medical play, surgical and procedural preparation, documentation, planning and supervising developmentally appropriate activities, family-centred care, planning and implementing special events, and working with individuals and groups.

Selection criteria

**Following the Association of Child life professionals criteria we will only accept students for clinical internship who have met the following guidelines. No exceptions will be made.**

  • Students must have a minimum of 100 hours experience working with well infants, children, youth and/or families.
  • Students must have a minimum of 100 hours experience with infants, children, youth and/or families in stressful situations, health care settings and/or programs designed for children with special needs.
  • Students must have completed the child life coursework inclusive of the 6 applied areas of study as required by the ACLP.
  • Students must have completed the academic coursework requirements as set out by the ACLP eligibility assessment.
  • Students must be enrolled in either the post degree graduate studies program offered through the University of the Fraser Valley or the master's program offered through McMaster University.

Please submit your application using the Association of child life professionals Common Child life Internship Application

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I become a child life intern at BC Children's Hospital?

The child life department at BC Children's Hospital currently only accepts students from the following two programs in Canada:

University of the Fraser Valley - Child life and Community health graduate certificate program

McMaster University - Masters in child life & pediatric psychosocial care program

We do not take independent students

In order to be eligible for a child life internship placement, you MUST be enrolled in one of these programs. For more information on this please contact the schools.

All of our students are required to complete their 600 hour internship for child life certification.

When do you usually take internship students?

We usually take interns starting in mid-August or January in correspondence with the University semester. Please discuss your interest with doing a child life internship with the internship supervisor at your University.

Do you accept international students?

At this time, our department is unable to accept students from the USA or other countries.

I have a bachelor's degree in psychology, can I just do my child life internship?

The educational requirements are outlined on the website for "The Association for Child Life Professionals." Please visit this website to see what courses are required. Eligibility requirements.

If you have further questions, please email the internship coordinators of the schools mentioned above.

Can I shadow a child life specialist for a day?

No, we do not offer job shadow shifts.

SOURCE: Child Life Internship ( )
Page printed: . Unofficial document if printed. Please refer to SOURCE for latest information.

Copyright © BC Children's Hospital. All Rights Reserved.

    Copyright © 2024 Provincial Health Services Authority.