Helping your youth develop self-advocacy, health knowledge and decision-making – to the best of their ability.
Back to Family Toolkit
- Start early! Begin to take on a coaching role and encourage youth to talk about their health condition and ask questions.
- Encourage health care providers and others to direct questions to your youth.
- Complete the Youth Quiz together every year – starting at age 12 – to identify where they are at.
- Work through the Youth Toolkit Activity Cards to help youth develop skills and knowledge as he/she is able.
- Support your youth as they create their own My Health Passport.
- Hear from other parents about ‘letting go’ and helping youth find their voice.
- Check out this online booklet to foster self-determination among children and youth.