What we do
The Canuck Place team provides:
- Inpatient, telephone consultation and community outreach support.
- Assessment and management of symptoms associated with life-threatening conditions and/or end of life.
- Education and support for families and/or health care providers
- Information about symptom managment, trajectory, and advanced directives.
- Coordination with other healthcare professionals at BCCH, community and other services within the province.
Children, their families, and health-care professionals work together to make decisions regarding treatment and care options.
Quality Pediatric Palliative care is whole person, holistic care that improves quality of life, manages symptoms, addresses suffering, and respects family choice. It is relational care that is team-based, collaborative and family-centred.
Palliative care treatments can be provided simultaneously with curative therapies and throughout a child's life.
Symptom management is active care aimed at reducing the adverse physical and emotional symptoms of the child's illness and/or side effects from treatments.
Symptom management throughout the child’s illness sometimes requires advanced interventions, as well as psychosocial support. The team uses pharmacological (i.e. medications) and non-pharmacological interventions (i.e. expressive therapies) to modify pain and other symptoms.
Canuck Place provides advanced symptom management and palliative care services to BC Children's Hospital through consultation, collaboration and care delivery. Services can be provided outpatient in the community or by telephone and inpatient at BC Children's Hospital, and/or inpatient at Canuck Place.