What we do
The Advanced Symptom and Palliative Care Service provides:
- Inpatient and telephone consultation
- Assessment and management of symptoms associated with life-threatening conditions and/or end of life.
- Education and support for families and/or health care providers
- Information about symptom managment, trajectory, and advanced directives
- Coordination with other healthcare professionals at BCCH, and other programs
Children, their families, and health-care professionals work together to make decisions regarding treatment and care options.
Palliative care treatments can be provided simultaneously with curative therapies and throughout a child's life.
Symptom management is active care aimed at reducing the adverse physical and emotional symptoms of the child's illness and/or side effects from treatments.
Symptom management throughout the child’s illness sometimes requires advanced interventions, as well as psychosocial support. The team uses pharmacological (i.e. medications) and non-pharmacological interventions (i.e. expressive therapies) to modify pain and other symptoms.
Canuck Place provides advanced symptom management and palliative care services to BC Children's Hospital through consultation, collaboration and care delivery. Services can be provided in the community, by telephone, inpatient at BC Children's Hospital, and/or inpatient at Canuck Place.