The SCC operates as an interdisciplinary program, which means that we work together as a group of specialists, pediatricians and therapists. The group consists of three pediatric urologists, three neurosurgeons, an orthopedic surgeon, two physiatrists and two pediatricians as well as a nurse, social worker, OT and physiotherapist.
- Our urology team monitors kidney and bladder health with regular ultrasounds, urodynamics and advises on techniques to manage bladder continence and health. They perform specialized surgeries for continence diversions. They work together with a general surgeon to place anterograde continence stomas and Mitrofanoffs.
- Our neurosurgical team monitors shunts, neurological changes and will provide surgeries as needed.
- Our orthopedic surgeon has special expertise in low extremity complications associated with SCI and will offer the necessary surgeries. Spinal deformities are specifically referred to the spine surgeons at BCCH.
- Our pediatricians will address general growth and developmental concerns as well as advise on bowel management and specific issues related to SCI.
- Pediatric physiatrists specialize in rehabilitation issues related to SCI and provide monitoring of growth and advise on specific rehab modalities your child may benefit from.
- Our physiotherapist and orthopedic surgeon work closely together to monitor growth, strength, need for splints and other mobility devices such as walkers or wheelchairs. They work with your community team to optimize therapies.
- Our occupational therapist (OT) monitors upper extremity use, provides developmental screening, works with the team on school integration and feeding related issues.
- Our social worker provides social and emotional support for you as a family and your child. Their role includes psychosocial assessments, supportive counseling, connections to funding and practical supports, and liaising with community resources.
- Our clinic nurse is the coordinator of our team. She is the point of contact for you with clinical concerns. She provides teaching, support and advocacy for your child and family.
- Our clinic clerk is the point of contact for you for general questions or concerns. She books appointments, ensures follow ups and tests are coordinated and works with the nurse to ensure you get to your appointments at the right time and right place.
We have access to a nutritionist and other specialists as needed. We work with orthotists in the community to make splints and mobility devices.